Frequently Asked Question
As required by New York State Law, the Town Clerk maintains an accurate accounting of all births and deaths that occur within the town. (Excluding the Village of Millbrook) This information is confidential and is never disclosed over the telephone.
- Birth Certificates: A birth certificate is mailed to the parents of each child born within the Town of Washington. Certified copies are available for a fee of $10.00.
Who is eligible to obtain a birth certificate copy?
- The person named on the birth certificate.
- A parent of the person named on the birth certificate (requesting parent’s name must be on birth certificate).
- Only by order of a New York State Court may a spouse, child or other persons obtain a copy of a birth certificate.
Requirements: A letter of request may be submitted in person or through the mail. The written request must include the following information:
- Birth name
- Date of birth
- Father’s name
- Mother’s maiden name
- Place of birth (address)
- Reason for request
- Signature on letter
- Fee of $10.00 for each copy requested
- If request is made through the mail, the signature must be notarized and include a self addressed stamped envelope.
- If birth name is different then current name on ID then a copy of a marriage license or legal document showing the name change
One (1) of the following forms of valid photo-ID:
- Driver license
- State issued non-driver photo-ID card
- U.S. Military issued photo-ID
- Two (2) of the following showing the applicant’s name and physical address:
- Utility or telephone bills
- Letter from a government agency dated within the last six (6) months
Death Transcripts: Burial Permits are issued to a funeral director for each burial or cremation.
Death certificates may be obtained by the parent, sibling or spouse of the deceased.
Other persons who have a:
- documented medical need
- documented lawful right of claim (provide proof)
- New York State Court Order
Upon written request, a certified transcript of death (death certificate) will be provided for a fee of $10.00 per copy.
http://www.washingtonny.org/departments/town-clerk/getting-married-new-york-state/', 'Marriage Licenses');" title="Getting Married In New York State">Marriage Licenses: A fee for a marriage license is $40.00 and is valid for 60 days after the 24 hour waiting period.
We are able to provide copies of the following types of records for genealogy researchpurposes:
Birth Certificates – if on file for at least 75 years and the person whose name is on the birth certificate is known to be deceased.
Death Certificates – if on file for at least 50 years.
Marriage Certificates – if on file for at least 50 years and the bride and groom are both known to be deceased.
The time periods are waived for direct-line ancestor is a person in the direct line of descent, ie., the child, grandchild, great grandchild of the person whose record is requested.
The direct line ancestor applicant must provide the following:
Proof of their relationship of the person whose record they are requesting.
Proof of the death of the person whose birth certificate they are requesting.
Proof of the death of the bride and groom whose marriage certificate they are requesting.
The standard fee for a genealogy search is $22.00. This includes a three year search of the index, the retrieval and re-filing of the document and either a copy of the record or a no record report. When more than a three year search is requested the fee increases. The fee applies separately for each record requested. Processing a genealogy request generally takes between 3 and 14 business days.