Departments   Officials   Tax Portal   Recreation   Agendas & Minutes   Community Events

Building Contact Info

James Finley

Building Inspector

phone icon (845) 677-3419 ext. 112
fax icon (845) 677-1195
email icon Email
home icon 10 Reservoir Dr, 2nd floor
       Millbrook, NY 12545


Office Hours

Monday - Friday
8:00am - 3:00pm

Inspections by Appointment

The purpose of the Town of Washington Building Department  is to provide for a minimum level of protection from the hazards of fire, inadequate building construction and improper maintenance in residential and non-residential buildings through the enforcement of Local and State codes, rules, and regulations. Enforcement is enacted through the issuance of permits, notices and orders, performance of inspections and issuance of certificates.

Building Permits

  pdf Building Permit Application (6/2022) Required for all actions requiring Building Inspector Approval

pdf Swimming Pool Barrier Agreement (6/2021)  - Required for all Pools, Hot Tubs and Spas

pdf Owner's Endorsement  - Required if the owner is authorizing another person or entity to make an application on their behalf.  If property is in a partnership, LLC or corporation additional information is required.

CE-200 - To be provided by homeowner or sole proprietor. Contractors with employees MUST submit Certificate of Worker's Compensation Insurance (C105.2 or U26.3) AND Certificate of Disability Benefits Compensation (DB120.1) Per Section 57 of Worker's Compensation Law, ACORD forms are NOT acceptable proof of coverage.

In the Town of Washington, both State and Local codes require that no person or organization shall begin to excavate, construct, demolish or change the nature of the occupancy of a property without having first applied for and obtained a permit.

In order to assure that your project is completed safety and in accordance with all town requirements, a building permit is required for most types of home improvements. To ensure a thorough review of your plans, your application for a permit should be filed at least two weeks in advance of the start of your project.  Some projects require permits and approvals from other entitities such as the Town Highway Superintendent, Planning Board or Zoning Board of Appeals, the Dutchess County Board of Health, Planning Department or Public Works or the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation or Department of Transportation.  Approvals from these entities must be received prior to the approval of a building permit.




Complaints regarding building code violations, property maintenance code violations, or unsafe buildings may be made in writing, by This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., or, in emergency cases, by phone. 

Building & Zoning FAQs

Building fees vary depending on the type of project, but are typically based on square footage. Please see the posted fee schedule for details.

Permits are issued as quickly as possible, following a complete review for compliance with all applicable State and Local building and zoning codes. This typically takes between one business day for minor applications and several weeks for larger projects.

Incomplete applications cannot be accepted for review, and will result in delays.

You have the right to file for a variance from the Town’s Zoning Board of Appeals.  Please see the posted application form for an area variance for a checklist outlining the application process and required documentation.

Setbacks vary according to the zone you are in.  A list of setbacks for the various zones is found in Appendix B of the Town Zoning Code.

A second residential structure on your property will need approval by the Town Planning.  You should know before you proceed that Town code requires that you have double the acreage of the zone you are in.  For instance if you are in a 10 acre zone, you would be required to have 20 acres of land.  Furthermore, Department of Health approval will be required.

As required by State law, building permits for projects which cost over $20,000 may not be issued unless stamped plans have been provided, with the exception of: certain structures used directly and solely for agricultural purposes, OR single family dwellings of 1,500 square feet or less.

Yes.  Demolition permits are required for the removal of a structure or the substantial alteration of a structure.

As in all other municipalities which are required to enforce the New York State Building Codes, a permit is required for any tent larger than 400 square feet, except those used exclusively for recreational camping, or those open on all sides and no larger than 700 square feet, individually or in aggregate.

Inspections vary depending on the project. Typical inspections for an addition or new construction building include: a pre application site visit, footing inspection, inspection prior to pouring foundation walls or slab, framing inspection, rough electrical, HVAC and plumbing inspection (with pressure test), roofing underlayment and flashing inspection, and a final inspection upon completion. Various third party inspections may also be required, including: independent electrical inspection, or blower door testing for energy code compliance.

As in all municipalities required to enforce the New York State Building Code, a building permit is required before beginning any work, except that which is specifically exempted from requiring a permit under 19-NYCRR Part 1203.3. Most work involving cutting, modifying, or replacing structural components, the installation of permanent heating and cooling equipment such as heat pumps, installation of fuel gas piping or propane tanks, roof replacements, electrical work, pellet or wood stove installation, installation of any swimming pool deeper than 24" and even replacement windows and doors will require a permit. Typical work which is exempt from permit requirements includes: playground equipment, sheds smaller than 144 square feet, and the direct replacement of HVAC equpipment or water heaters which does not differ from the original specifications. 

Both your tax grid ID number and zoning district can be easily found by searching the Dutchess County ParcelAccess mapping tool. In addition to viewing a full property card which gives this information, several other useful tools exist, including map layers which shown wetlands, and a measuring tool which can be used to get approximate distances to property lines.